Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Including Others

I(Tessa) will never forget what it felt like one day in 6th grade when all of my friends got a special part in an SCA play and I did not.  Although I was happy for my friends,  on that first day back to choir (after the parts had been given out), it was difficult for me to watch those in the cast go off into a corner and talk excitedly about their parts. Of course, they had no idea that I fought back tears as I imagined a whole semester of feeling left out. They would never have intentionally hurt me! As time went on, it got easier, and I even made some new friends. But now, I can use this experience to remember to be aware of the feelings of those around me.
 We can all encourage our sisters in Christ and SCA friends by working to not leave anyone out. For instance, posting pictures on Facebook of a fun time shared is really great, but if someone might be hurt by it, maybe we should think twice before posting. Birthday parties, sharing inside jokes, and inviting your best buddy to sit by you in class are opportunities to be inclusive, or to be sensitive and reach out to those who might be feeling left out. I am not perfect at this, and I hope that we can all quickly forgive and extend grace to each other when we make mistakes, because I know we are all striving to share the love of Jesus with each other.  We are all still growing and learning, of course!  So, let’s keep encouraging and reminding each other to be sensitive. How does that sound? :)
Our hope with starting “SCA Sisters” is that we will all reach out beyond our comfortable group of friends to also get to know other, great girls at SCA. Being Christians and homeschooled is a unique bond that we all share. We hope that we can all “build each other up” and be one big family!

No comments:

Post a Comment